Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Micro Issue

By: Kenny Johnson. A daydreamer, perpetrating as an aspiring writer, leaving a trail of ink from Jersey to Los Angeles. He has something to say. Let’s see if you can relate.

Shock value has its pros, and it’s cons. When used correctly it brings attention to a subject, person, event, etc. that probably would not have garnered nearly that size of an audience without the use of shock. Look at how the images of the Vietnam War helped to change popular opinion in the late 60s or how Lil B has used it to create a solo career. Shit, you can even throw Janet’s titty in there (not quite the same, but I enjoyed it).

Those were all beneficial to their respective causes, and they do not really illustrate the downside, which is turning people away. Let me give an example of the use of shock that illustrates the downside and why I don’t holla at chicks with micros: THE BABY FRO.

I feel I have been involved in this situation more than the average 25 year old man, and it always happens to me the same way. I meet a girl, and she looks rather cute with her long hair, average length hair, or micros (micro braids in case you didn’t know). I start a conversation, get her number, and call to get together on a later date. It is during these dates that I have learned to ascertain the value of shock. Instead of seeing flowing hair, or even braids, she shows up with this tight BABY FRO.

Now I have nothing against women going natural. In fact, I find it sexy, once the hair has reached a respectable length. But it’s like when you order a cardigan off the internet, and when you finally get the package, you find out they sent a crewneck. This is not what I was sold on. I feel like she should let me know at least before we see each other. If she told me she’d be wearing a sexy dress, she should also let me know she was accessorizing with a baby fro. I haven’t learned to love or even like her personality, intelligence, and the many other intangibles she may have to offer, but I’m already questioning her decision-making.

In these situations I always compose myself because inevitably I will have to answer the question: “Do you like my hair?” My answer is always “it’s cool”, but I always feel like I’ve been hoodwinked. Especially if she wants to share picks, but not the bill. I guess that’s cool in some parallel universe. She may be shocked that I won’t be calling anymore, but I’m shocked she went on a first date like that…

I remember back in 2000, I decided to get braids like every other kid I knew. I also knew that there was a waiting period before I would approach any female, while I was growing my hair. All dudes who ever had braids are familiar with it. It’s about a two to three month period before your hair is long enough to braid up without choking your forehead. At this time, I just fell back from approaching anything new. There wasn’t any love, loss or animosity; it was just something that we (men) all understood.

And now, hopefully women do too.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is actually a quite funny story, yet very interesting. For starters the “baby fro” is never the right hairstyle to wear on the first date. There are many other styles to wear and avoid rocking “the baby fro” smelling like cocoa oils since some might not be able to embrace the look. However, on the flipside, I guess I would start by saying beauty is not just about the appearance. Therefore, If a women would like to embrace her natural side then why not! Her hair should not define who she is as a person or the great qualities she possesses as a woman. Hair should never be an issue. Pulled back probably would have been a better choice.

-SimonSayz